Equal Opportunities & Diversity
REVISED AUGUST 2020
Equal Opportunities are about ensuring respect for individual dignity, for fairness and justice. It involves the acceptance and recognition that discrimination exists and that certain groups in our society have been discriminated against unfavourably, because of the prejudices and preconceptions of others with whom they have to deal. Equal opportunities are about working towards the elimination of discrimination and providing appropriate support and positive action to redress inequality.
Midland Group Training Services will treat all learners with respect and dignity and seek to provide a positive learning environment free from discrimination, harassment or victimisation.
Midland Group Training Services is committed to a policy of equality of opportunity and fair access to assessment and training for all learners on assessment and training programmes and does not discriminate on grounds of race, ethnic origin, nationality, colour, sex, marital status, disability or sexual orientation and conforms to all legislation related to equal opportunities including but not exclusively:
- The Equality Act 2010 [which harmonises and replaces previous legislation such as the Race Relations Act 1976, Sex Discrimination and Disability Discrimination]. The Equality Act covers the same groups that were protected by existing equality legislation: age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity, which are now called ‘protected characteristics’.
- Workplace [Health, Safety and Welfare] Regulations 1992
- The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
The ultimate responsibility for the implementation of this policy rests with the Chief Executive, David Bridgens, of Midland Group Training Services with the support and commitment of all employees of MGTS, employers and sub-contractors.
To help monitor the effectiveness of our equal opportunities and diversity policy and to identify any actions necessary to improve the effectiveness the following data is collected and analysed:-
- Recruitment Statistics – Equal Opportunities data on applications to MGTS for apprenticeships are regularly monitored and analysed.
- Progress and Achievement Statistics – Equal Opportunities data on the progress of learners towards the achievement of qualifications, retention rates and outcomes on completion of training are regularly monitored and analysed.
- Learner Feedback Questionnaires /Course Assessments are collated and analysed to identify any actions required.
Midland Group Training Services Limited shall strive for continuous improvement in this area.